[plug] Home Networking

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Fri Oct 6 14:15:46 WST 2000

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000, Clint Carlson wrote:
> This is a fairly open ended question, so I will try to give as much info as
> possible. There are three computers in the house in which I live, and as a
> little experiment, I would like to set up a network between them using my
> box running red hat 7 as the server. What type of equipment will I need to
> accomplish this, and could you recomend a cheap and easy option to aid me in
> purchases. Sorry about the open endedness of this question, but if I knew
> more I would not have to ask. thanks

Cheapest way to start is to pick up three 10/100Mb Network Interface Cards
which can handle both 2Base-T (black coaxial-cable -- BNC connectors) and
10Base-T (blue Unshielded Twisted Pair cable -- RJ45 connectors)

That way, you can get started with nothing more than the NIC's, some
coaxial-cable fly-leads (, and two 50 ohm terminators to connect the three
computers. Later, if you want, you can use CAT5 fly-leads through a hub (10Mb)
or switch (100Mb) to connect them up.

Either cabling system will work OK in a domestic setting.

Steve