[plug] Does Telstra Set Speeds for there Exchanges?

tlee tlee at enternet.com.au
Sat Oct 7 22:58:48 WST 2000

I am also a member of a newsgroup run out of USA and I am reading lots and lots
of winging about cable. They say it works faster for a time, but you are
downsped by the number of hits to the server and that it ends up being no faster
than twisted pair.
Also complaints about DSL - I don't know is the mean ADSL, but one complainant
said belltel connected him to a dead pole. Three weeks later they got it right
and again he said it was faster for a time, but that as soon as everybody in the
neighbourhood? started using it, the line downsped, making it no faster than
twisted pair. I despair of ever gettting realtime internet, because the more
popular it gets the more it clogs. Not only that but most people settle down to
visiting only a few sites - like foxtel with 50 channels and you may watch 5 of
them. Perhaps if you are doing a lot of downloading faster access is important,
but I have seen next door at work where they pay $300 pcm for a special line,
and the web seems no faster then mine. What do others think?