[plug] Debian Packages

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Oct 8 15:47:39 WST 2000

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 02:16:35PM +0800, jeffw at mbox.com.au wrote:
> How do I make debian think that it has a package intalled, when it has
> been compiled and installed rather than from a package? I know I can
> force a package to be installed using dpkg, but I want dselect and
> gnome-apt to recognise it.

You probably want the "equivs" package. It's a good idea to keep
your compiled stuff segregated in /usr/local, too.

If you simply wish to override a few individual files (perhaps you've
compiled a copy with local hacks, or want a script "front end" for
setting up some environment variables or something), you can use
dpkg-divert.

eg ;
dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/lynx.bin /usr/bin/lynx

and any upgrades to lynx will go to the right place as well.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal