[plug] database languages

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Oct 7 22:43:13 WST 2000

tlee wrote:
> How about real applications to use at one's work. Databases are the things we use
> most, but what language would you suggest to write database programs in linux.
> Would tcl scripts be the best way to go, or would they be too restrictive.

That would work. There are probably more efficient methods, depending on your
specific needs. SQL-92 is becoming pretty standard. Try PostgreSQL (more
standard) or MySQL (faster) as backends. A boring Linux box will have no trouble
running one or all of: webserver(s) including SSL, SQL server(s), proxy cache,
email (SMTP/POP/IMAP), name (DNS) services, DHCP server, secure shell, dialins,
dialouts, firewall (including NAT) and routing, FTP server, IRC server, blah
blah blah...

> Cobol
> must surely be very good handling text and databases, because that was the
> original commercial language for unix, was it not? But too difficult you say?

Too brainless. No inherent structure to the language (even though it does have
record structuring of a kind). Hit comma when you meant period and all hell
breaks loose (or your Venus probe goes AWOL). Too... seventies. (-:

> What else is easy?

Python, PERL, Ruby; for web sites in particular, Pike and PHP. There is a Python
webserver as well, called Zope. Use what you please. There is no problem writing
in C, C++, Java, ForTran (hawk, spit), Eiffel, Oberon, CoBOL (if you must),
shell script, BASIC(k), HP41C (I kid you not), Mercury, Ada, Pascal... am I
boring you yet? There's even a web-server written in PostScript (yes, the
printer language) and a car-racing game written in sed (a batch editor), so any
problem you have will be soluble much less bizarrely. (-:

--
When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift