[plug] libc

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu Oct 12 18:25:17 WST 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 jeffw at mbox.com.au wrote:

> What problems could there be upgrading a production Debian system from
> libc 2.0.* to 2.1.*? Is it something to worry about?

Don't interrupt it while it's doing it :)

I upgraded 3 of WASP's servers from slink to potato using
"apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade"
and had no problems whatsoever with the first two, but the third I hit
control-c in the middle of it, and had a few minor issues with files
wanting to be installed that depended on something that was waiting to be
installed but wasn't yet etc etc.

It wasn't too hard to fix though - just dpkg --purged the files that had
dependency problems, restarted the apt-get, and then apt-get installed
those packages afterwards.

Oh yeah, and no reboot required - which I'm quite happy about because one
of those servers has already well surpassed any of my personal records :)
neptune:~# uptime
  6:24pm  up 308 days,  4:43,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.01

(Of course now I've bragged about it, it's going to die Tonight)

 - Matt