[plug] Home page

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Fri Oct 13 20:02:56 WST 2000

Robert Andrews wrote:

> Okay Colin how do I allow users only to log on via ftp and only have access
> to there home files
> Is there a simple method via squid or rc.firewall or http

Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about ftp daemons - I use scp, not ftp.
Try (at the command line):

man ftpd
man ftpaccess

... for info about ftp settings. man ftpaccess, for example, tells us:

An  example  of  the  use of these clauses shows their intended use.
Assume user 'dick' has a home directory /home/dick and 'jane'
/home/jane:
                guest-root /home dick jane
                restricted-uid dick jane
While both dick and jane are chroot'd to /home, they cannot access each
other's files  because they are restricted to their home directories.

Colin