[plug] Testing w/ 777 [was Home page]

Brian Tombleson brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Fri Oct 13 23:52:21 WST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Nicholls" <jason at mindsocket.com.au>
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2000 11:14 PM

> > > You should _never_ set file permissions to 777
> >
> > Actually, it's a fairly standard part of testing when things aren't
> > working as expected on a Web site. But they should certainly be changed
> > back afterwards.
>
> That's still a bad idea. If you're testing for a web site, why would it
need
> write access. For testing try (at the worst):
>
> 755 (directories)
> 644 (files).

While I agree it's not the best practise, when something's not working for
you it's the best way to delineate the problem between a functional one and
a security one.

Open permission - if the problem still persists, close permission and look
elsewhere.  If it goes away, go find more specific doco (or code) on correct
permissions.

This is how you solve problems on things you didn't know anything about to
start with (and how you learn :).

[set value=$0.02]

- Brian.