[plug] Home page

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Sat Oct 14 20:37:13 WST 2000

> Hi can sombody please tell me why from a remote comp I can go
> to my Linux home page
> i.e http://203.57.132.141/~user
> but I cannot go to http://203.57.132.141/home/user/public_html

If anyone else has replied to this I must have missed it.

There is a difference between the Web root and the real root directory of
the machine.  As far as the Web user is concerned, the root of your machine
is something like /var/www or /home/www/htdocs, not /.  So the URL you are
giving above is /var/www/home/user/public_html.  The exception to this rule
is theat ~user is shorthand for /home/user/public_html.

PS. You're sending in HTML.  Don't do that.