[plug] ppp dialup problems

Bruce Fountain Bruce.Fountain at mi-services.com
Mon Oct 16 15:12:03 WST 2000

Hi guys,

I have just subscribed to this mailing list. Unfortunately
my first posting is going to be pretty mundane.

I have a redhat (5.? - not sure of the version) installation
which I used without any major drama to connect to my ISP in
Sydney. Now that I have moved to Perth I have signed with
iinet. I used linuxconf to reconfigure my dialup connection
to talk to iinet (that seems to be the only ppp configuration
tool on the system). I changed the dialup phone number, my
account login and password, and the DNS. I can't think of
anything else which would need to be changed.

When I try to connect I get the following messages in
/var/log/messages:

   kernel: registered device ppp0
   pppd[729]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, vid 0
   chat[735]: send (ATZ^M)
   chat[735]: expect (OK)
   chat[735]: alarm
   chat[735]: failed

The modem doesn't seem to dial. Can anyone see something
which I might have missed? Is there someway I can get better
diagnostics from pppd/chat?

Bruce Fountain
Mi Consulting Group (Australia) Pty Ltd
Direct Line:  +61 (0)8 9368 8607
Switchboard:  +61 (0)8 9368 8600
Facsimile:    +61 (0)8 9368 8699
E-mail: bruce.fountain at mi-services.com

This email and any files transmitted with it from Mi Services
Group may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
If it is not addressed to you, please immediately contact
nzpostmaster at mi-services.com and do not use, disclose,
copy, distribute or retain any of it without our authority.