[plug] Postfix problems

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 16 13:34:04 WST 2000

"Shackleton, Kevin" wrote:

> No no no - post the root password here!

Ah, yes.... I am not as silly as I look! As you have pointed out, from
memory, someone else has been as silly as I look...

I am not sure about Leon's suggestion; publishing the configuration
files; but, anyway, details like that will have to wait until Anne is
home - she set it up, and I wouldn't know where to look for all the
files, and, I don't know what is going on with it all.

It appears, from what happened this morning, when I connected, that the
sending out of the email, was a postfix/sendmail issue, and, the problem
with the incoming mail, appears to be a fetchmail issue (there is a
query about it at
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html , that I found
in the depths of last night.

When I connected this morning, the script had a line that Anne had
inserted, sendmail -q, to flush unsent messages, which magically sent
the delayed messages (why they were delayed, we don't know). However,
sending the unsent messages, at the commencement of the next connect
session, is not as good, as relaying them, as soon as the originating
system sends them.

Anne had setup sendmail (kind of), then I told her about the complexity
problems (of which I have been told), of configuring sendmail, so she
switched to postfix, which had to be installed and configured, and,
which, apparently, required sendmail to be uninstalled, due to a
conflict of binaries.

It all gets very confusing.

We are using fetchmail to download the emails from iinet, the Red Hat
imap package, for POP3, as has recently been mentioned on the list, and,
Postfix, for sending mails across the LAN (and to use to send mails out,
so that the ISP mail server names don't need to be altered all the time,
on each node in the LAN).

However, due to the problems with sending messages out, via Postfix, I
am bypassing it, sending directly to the iinet outgoing mail server
cluster.

Why sendmail is involved (the sendmail -q , flushing the unsent mail),
when we are supposedly using Postfix, I do not know.

It gets confusinger and confusinger...

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988