[plug] ppp dialup problems

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Oct 17 19:09:31 WST 2000

TR means terminal ready.  As a quick means of trouble shooting I check the modem using a simple DOS base program called Procomm, of course if you want to search the web you can find all sorts of modem testers out there.  Some may allow you to enter commands to check the response.  If you have a Win base PC try in on this PC just to see if it your existing h/w using hyperterminal  or just check the modem feature in control panel and select more info on the diagnostic page and watch the lights.  If they all light up then you'll know it's working.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
PH: +61 8 9242 8600
FX: +61 8 9242 8611

>>> Bruce.Fountain at mi-services.com 1:57:10 pm 17/10/2000 >>>
> Not only is the modem not dialling, it's not responding at all.  Are you
> sure it's plugged into the correct serial port?
>
> If you've looked into all those things (power, cables etc), then try
> talking direct to the modem with minicom.  Run 'minicom -s' to tell
> minicom what serial port to use (among other things), then see if the
> modem responds when you run minicom without -s.

It is definitely plugged into the correct serial port, because
when I activate the connection the "TR" light on the modem goes
on. When I deactivate the connection the light goes off. Running
minicom also toggles the light. I have no idea what the "TR"
light means since my manual seems to have gone missing.

It is possible that I have a hardware fault in either the
modem or the serial connection. This is an old system and it
has recently crossed the nullabor in a seatainer.

Bruce.

This email and any files transmitted with it from Mi Services
Group may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
If it is not addressed to you, please immediately contact
nzpostmaster at mi-services.com and do not use, disclose,
copy, distribute or retain any of it without our authority.