[plug] Warning! Rant ahead

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri Oct 20 10:03:56 WST 2000

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Beau Kuiper wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Dave T Burbidge wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > > Greetings!
> > >
> > > Umm ... is iiNet Linux friendly? OK, so I can log in, but one time I
> >
> > iiNet is actually a very confused and strange company. So much so I am actually
> > suprised anything gets done there. I always dread communicating with them. They
> > actually use linux a fair bit for their equipment (their cityspan client side
> > box is a small linux box).
> >
> > I would avoid iiNet unless there is a good reason not to do so for the time
> > being,
>
> On bitching about iiNet, I thought my mail access had been a little sporadic of late,
> after I recieved 400 E-mails dating back from 20th August, yesterday, that have been sitting
> in a queue somewhere for a couple of months, it confirmed my theory.
> Same goes when my virtual domain mail settings "got changed" and I lost all E-mail access
> for about a day. 'till I made 3 calls to tech support, and the last bloke who fixed it
> told me "Well you must keep your password more secure, because someone changed your settings"
> Like hell, I'm the only one who knows it, and I sure did not do it..
> Sorry for the rant, but I'm fed up to the gills with iiNet. The quicker I get out, the better..

We had the same email problem. In our case, we use iinet for our backup mail
server (we run our own primary email server), and while our line was down,
email backed up on the iinet server and took ages to be flushed to us. We have
also suffered from iinet's "Its not our fault" syndrom too, only a few days ago.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au

> ps, the OTHER ISP I use has no such problems, and is growing into the well supported, reliable
> entity that omen was before they were destroyed..

My ISP (arachnet) is also excellent, providing very few busy signals and
generally don't need to be talked to at all (rarely anything goes wrong)