[plug] National Banking under Linux!!

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Oct 23 10:52:51 WST 2000

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

For those banking with National, I've managed to get their online banking
working under Linux! I had a bash at it before, and manage to kludge it to
install, but never got the images working, which made it useless.

But now I've had another crack at it, and got it going! Here's how:
  - Go into your Netscape program directory (I use 4.75, Debian smotif
package), then into java/classes (you'll need Netscape java support, as it's a
Java app), and "chmod 777 .". ie; Make the classes dir writeable by all!! This
means you as your usual pleb user can install all the associated data files it
wants.
  - Next, go to the NAB Banking site: http://www.national.com.au/banking/ and
select Start Installing. Follow the prompts, including the one saying "Yes I
really am running Windows", and eventually, nothing will happen! (But really,
it'll be downloading the java wossname in the background)
  - Eventually, it'll pop up a box and tell you it's installing, and if all
goes well, it'll install OK!
  - Quit Netscape, and change that classes dir back to 755! You should see a
NAB dir, owned by whoever you ran Netscape as. That contains all the images.
  - Next, MOVE that NAB dir from the classes dir to a FAT32 drive, and softlink
from NAB to the new place (so that things looking for files will still find
things).
  - Now you should be able to restart Netscape, and run NAB Online Banking!

Notes:
  - This assumes you're already familiar with NAB Banking under Windoze, have
their custom Cert, etc.
  - The Java class didn't used to install without a kludge to kickstart it -
they seem to've taken those checks out? Or maybe this install of Netscape I
have was different to when I last tried. ^_^
  - The whole FAT32 thing is to get around the age-old problem of
case-sensitive filenames!! Yep! Written for a Windoze world, they're obviously
referencing files with different case than they are installed as. Putting it on
a FAT32 drive negates this problem, as asking for a filename with different
case will still get to the file. There's probably a non-FAT32 way of doing
this, but I don't have time to fiddle when I have a solution. ^_^
  - I haven't used it MUCH. Just logged in to make sure the basics were
working.

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :