[plug] vmware

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Mon Oct 23 12:57:05 WST 2000

wvovil at fundi.com.au wrote:
> I currently have a Toshiba TECRA 8100 on which I have NT 4.0 (SP 6a) and Linux
> Mandrake 7.1 dual booted. I wish to eventually end up with all Windows stuff
> either running under Wine or, where this is not possible running under NT 4
> running under vmware on my Linux Host. Has anyone tried to get vmware going
> under linux? has anyone had any probs getting NT 4 up on vmware? Any things to
> be wary of etc?

About VMWare: I haven't tried NT under it, but if they claim it works,
it will.
Some things to know:
- Have lots of RAM (I allocate 80MB to the VM for Win98, it's not fast
but it's acceptable)
- The virtual machine runs faster in full-screen mode (Ctrl-Alt-F8)
- Install the VMWare Tools for extra speed and better display (comes
with the software - installation instructions on their site - you do
this from inside the Win session)
- Read the tips on the VMWare site before, during and after
installation. There's useful stuff (including the above).
- You can reduce the "Ack!" factor by making the Win screensaver in your
VM a scrolling marquee which says "I'd rather be Linux".

I use it for testing how well Web pages work in Windows-based browsers,
and it's the most productive solution I've yet found for that.

Colin