[plug] Linux 7

Russell Keith-Magee keithmag at cs.curtin.edu.au
Tue Oct 24 11:09:11 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 09:30:56AM +0800, Christopher Darby wrote:
> > is anyone able to burn me a copy of RedHat Linux 7 by any chance ?
>
> I hate to be picky but calling Red Hat 7.0 "Linux 7" as you've done in
> your subject isn't really a good idea...  bound to offend all those
> users of other distributions for whom "Red Hat" definitely does not
> equal "Linux".

Erm, hate to be picky on your picking, but he said "RedHat Linux 7", the
same name that is written on the side of the Redhat box (if you happen
to buy one).

Redhat Linux vXX is an accurate and appropriate complete name, just like
Debian GNU/Linux, Suse Linux vXX, or whatever. Saying RedHat 7.0 really
is like saying Microsoft 95 - a complete non sequitur. RedHat sells
other products - not just a linux distro.

He _didn't_ say Linux 7.0 (a term which really gets my goat, even though
I'm a Redhat user).

Pick on people, sure, but pick on them for the right reason :-)

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
PhD Research Student
School of Computing, Curtin University of Technology
email: keithmag at cs.curtin.edu.au OR russ.magee at computer.org
WWW:   http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~keithmag
Ph: +61 8 9266 2129    FAX +61 8 9266 2819