[plug] Module help required

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Oct 30 22:23:38 WST 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Brian Tombleson wrote:

> Hate to show my ignorance, but I get the following when trying to load that
> SMC 8013 network module again:
>
> wd.o: unresolved symbol NS8390_init

Are you using insmod or modprobe?

modprobe is to insmod, what apt is to dpkg (Debian's rpm)
As previously mentioned, many network drivers depend on 8390.o, and
modprobe knows what modules the module you are trying to load depends
on, and loads them first.  You can update the dependency information by
running "depmod -a"

If you have run depmod and are using modprobe and are still getting symbol
errors, the modules you are trying to load do not match the kernel you are
currently running.

> I imagine the errors are because it can't find the card (?)

No, the errors are because the module depends on functions that are not
present in the current kernel, either because the kernel is a different
version, was compiled with different options, or most commonly, the
module that provides those functions has not been loaded yet.

> Card works in Windoze as NE2000 compatible.

In that case I suggest you try the ne.o module.
> Jumpered the card to have IRQ=10, IO=300 (or IRQ=3, IO=280) with no

Try "modprobe ne io=0x300"

 - Matt