[plug] O'Reilly

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 1 10:47:07 WST 2000

skribe wrote:

> I just saw this on Slashdot.  O'Reilly has a user group program where they
> provide certain benefits to *UGs.  It's probably worth a look for PLUG
> (presuming it hasn't been examined before) despite some of the benefits
> being seemingly US-based, but the possibility of free books for the library
> sounds very attractive.
>
> http://ug.oreilly.com/
>
> skribe

Sounds good.

The form does not make any reference to state, or country, in the
address, so I wonder whether it is available to UG's outside the USA.

If Matt or Tony contacted the denise contact person, who knows, maybe
they could organise something for the installfest, quite apart from an
ongoing relationship.

Given that O'Reilly has (or, I believe they have) the Perl book/CD set,
that I believe has previously been mentioned on this list, apart from
their other books, if their offered relationship extends outside the
USA, it could start a good relationship for PLUG (and, good public
relations for O'Reilly, with a "try before you buy" opportunity for any
of their books etc that could be part of the PLUG library).

A contact made by Matt or Tony, with their contact person, could also
include that O'Reilly books have previously been mentioned favourably by
name, as references, on this mailing list, and that, if the books were
available in the PLUG library, a "try before you buy" opportunity, such
as this, could result in sales of O'Reilly books, due to the "try before
you buy" opportunity, that may not otherwise occur.

That is, all appart from the opportunity, of O'Reilly providing giveaway
prizes for the installfest...

(Is there a Linux in a Nutshell book?)

--

Bret Busby