[plug] Disk space probs

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Fri Sep 1 11:50:42 WST 2000

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 11:39:56AM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> Oh puh-lease. There is enough dumbing-down already. Let go of their hands.

It's not dumbing down... it's simply not lying about what is and
isn't a good idea.  I'm sure there was a time when you didn't
know what you were doing, either.  If you don't want to help the
newbies, feel free not to  :)

> Not when it just took 5 minutes to du the entire 20GB drive, and you
> realise that 50 lines wasnt enough.

Okay...  point taken.  But you'll find that the next du will work
much faster, anyhow, since much of the filesystem will be cached.

> > Look at the output, cd to the biggest directory and repeat until
> > you find the culprit, then:
>
> Isnt that rather tedious?

Well, kinda  :)

Once again, good for newbies, though... you get to learn the layout
of your filesystem fairly well.  TMTOWTDI  :)