OT personal whinge Re: [plug] Disk space probs

Carl Gherardi gherardi at ark.cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri Sep 1 12:51:18 WST 2000

I must admit i find the thread(and several others in the last week) a
little offensive. I've had enough experience to know to chack to man pages
before executing a command i dont recognize, but others can and will be
trusting (see Community hacking thread). I _really_ dont see the point in
posting destructive commands.

I personally have used several variants of unix for about 4 years. All
the systems i had used up until the start of this year had been set up
nicely before hand. As a result I know how to keep track of my home area
and the little nasties that pop up from time to time but little else.

I was running windows 9* and got sick of proprietry crap that i was forced
to download and crack to get any use out of, for this reason I changed. I
joined plug in the hope that in the learning curve of administering my
system I could get some quick help if I ran into any problems.

For the most part you've been helpful, my display problems were solved and
I learned several things while it was being done. In fact the last Monday
night meeting helped my self esteem a little when noone could get my sound
to work ;)

But there are posts to the group which are annoying and serve little
purpose(including this one i guess). A prime example is a couple of
interested in, as i had no idea myself, and was frustrated until x posts
later when skribe responded "Gimme some URL's!" *muttering about blood
from a stone* An informative response came soon after.

Not all of us are gurus. Not all of us are willing to wade through 4000
web sites to get information - especially when many people could just say
"I found http://x.x.x/ very useful" RTFWP and see if that doesn't sort you
out.

Carl