[plug] UPS & powerd

Shackleton, Kevin kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au
Fri Sep 1 13:29:19 WST 2000

The first question I'd ask is what's your cable?

I think basic UPS' usually work by asserting or not the handshaking lines.
Which are, in 25-pin mode: the "data terminal equipment" (DTE - the PC)
would normally assert pin 20 (DTR) and pin 4 (RTS), while the "data
communication equipment" (DCE - the modem) would assert pin 6 (DSR) and pin
5 (CTS).  Asserting means pulling to +12 V from the normal -12 V.  You can
look up the 9-pin equivalents in the back of electronics catalogues or
around the web.

If this is how it's done, then you would have to:
1) set one PC handshaking line high and one low ("assertlow RTS"?)
2) connect the correct DCE handshaking line (CTS, from the sound of your
config) to the one  DTE line via biassing resistors (1 K would do) and to
the other line via the relay contacts.

Are you lost?  Must be the way I explained it.

K.