[plug] O'Reilly

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 1 14:53:59 WST 2000

skribe wrote:

> At 14:00 1/09/00, Colin Muller wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, while Boffins in the past, may have provided good
> > > service, shortcomings like the lack of a website like the nedkelly one,
> > > or, even an email address, to which to send queries, will likely mean
> > > that they lose potential trade, to bookshops that show that they do keep
> > > up with the times.
> >
> >Yes - they're nuts to be thinking like that.
>
> Perhaps, but I'm certain that it all comes down to their bottom
> line.  Designing and running an online bookshop isn't cheap in time or
> money.  If they believe the amount of extra sales they'll generate through
> the web site isn't going to compensate them sufficiently, then they'd be
> foolish to do it.
>
> Personally, I believe that a combination of the GST and the overseas online
> bookstores will kill all but the biggest of the local stores.  Spending
> $A100 for a book I can get for $A60 doesn't encourage me to buy
> locally.  If the dollar continues to plummet that could change, of
> course.  But even then, buying books in the eastern states is cheaper than
> buying them here.  It's ridiculous.
>
> As always, YMMV.
>
> skribe

How do the prices at nedkelly, compare with the prices from your
supplier?

I have bought from amazon, in the past, and, started an amazon affiliate
thing on our website (we haven't made any money from it yet - not many
visit our website), but, with the ozzie dollar dropping so low (about 57
USA cents, with the combination of book prices and shipping costs from
the USA, local sources start to appear more competitive. We have bought
two books, costing us $180 from amazon, which would have costs us $300,
if we had bought them locally, and, if they were available in oz (which
they were not), but, from what I understand, some local bookshops are
starting to get competitive, and, are, like nedkelly, catching up to the
1990's, by having Internet trading in their merchandise.