[plug] O'Reilly

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 1 15:39:32 WST 2000

"Thomas, Andre" wrote:

> What is sadder is the fact that buying a book that would cost AUS$90
> here in Perth is allot dearer than buying one from the US at a cost of
> AUS$50 including shipping.  Now that is ridiculous.
>
> -André

Just out of interest, I have just checked the amazon prices for Linux in
a Nutshell. These are their prices, not the recommended prices.
2nd edition: 23.96 USD
3rd edition: 27.96 USD

Allowing for an AUD:USD exchange rate of 0.57, the 23.96 USD becomes
42.04 AUD.

As stated in my previous email, the nedkelly price for the book (edition
unkown), is 42.04 AUD.

That is not including shipping, which, from memory, was something like 7
USD per order, plus 6 USD per book, for orders placed with amazon,
compared with a flat 6 AUD, for up to 10 books, within Perth, ordered
from nedkelly.

So, it appears that, with their absorption of the GST, nedkelly is
competitive with amazon.

I think that's worth considering...

And, neither do I have any shares, or commercial interest in
nedkelly.com.au; just personal objevtive interest in competitive prices
for wanted items. (Apart from the support for a local business that also
supports the local community)

--

Bret Busby