[plug] Script not working

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Mon Sep 4 16:47:05 WST 2000

Navarre wrote:
> Is there a general rule in Linux/unix to not report errors like the one I
> created or is it normal to die silent and do nothing?

I just tried the ghostscript command you have in your script with a few
incorrect parameters (-dGARBAGE -sGARBAGE). It quietly ignores these and
continues with the job.

You will probably find your script was working, but sending the output
somewhere else instead of the output file.

My guess is that it is/was a deliberate design decision to ignore invalid
command line parameters rather than exit.  While probably not the standard
'Unix Way', this would have some merit with Ghostscript due to the lengthy
command line strings that people were having to write in order to properly
control output.  My preference (given easy access to command-line history in
bash) would have been to have the program exit with a diagnostic error.  At
least you would be certain that it was working as you intended, paying
attention to all of the command line parameters.

I wonder if there is a valid command line parameter to enforce strict
command line parsing? :-)

Colin Rothnie