[plug] Linux support for schools

Shackleton, Kevin kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au
Mon Sep 4 19:20:47 WST 2000

Speaking of which, and changing topic somewhat:

Given a Linux dial-up / proxy server operating more-or-less hands-off at a
school.  The school has a 12-hour account (you dial in for 12 hours a day).
How do I set it up so that:

1) it cron's the dial in and hangup without anyone being logged in.  The
cron documentation refers to all cron jobs as belonging to someone.  Will
root's cron jobs be run without being logged in?  (I'd try this but my
machine's in bits at the moment).

2) it copes with power failures.  We often have power failures longer than
small UPS' will cope with.  Assuming the machine fsck's ok, it would be nice
to see it work out if it should reconnect or not.

TIA,

K.