[plug] Linux/win2k dual boot

Quintin Lette lette at it.net.au
Tue Sep 5 15:39:05 WST 2000

Yes I'm successfully running a Windows 2000, Linux (Debian Potato for those
who must know) dual boot.

Dual boot setup done same way as for NT4,  Scripting no probs (as Windows
2000 has its own scripting host), Command prompts no problem (its just not
in the same menu as win9x) easiest way to get it is typing cmd in run
window! traceroute *tracert in windows* is available, so is ping, nslookup,
etc, so dont worry too much :)

The only thing I would worry about is whether win2k drivers are available
for your system, especially display drivers (as BSODs happen with some of
the worse ones), and whether or not the apps you use are supported (also
not a major problem, as most NT4 apps run fine).

On a notebook I would use Windows 2000 over NT4 any day.  And as Dual
booting Linux and Win2k is the same as NT4/Linux I can't complain :)

Btw Ive had a Win2k/Linux dual boot system since Win2k beta 3(about May
1999) and never really had any probs with either operating system with
regards to the dual boot :)

Just my opinion :)