[plug] acrobat reader and printing

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Wed Sep 6 09:23:25 WST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shackleton, Kevin" <kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Wednesday, 6 September 2000 9:15
Subject: RE: [plug] acrobat reader and printing

> What's MSWord 8?  Is that '97 or 2k?  My '97 doesn't allow you to create
> pdfs, and since it's Adobe licensed stuff I'd have thought that no Word
> would, unless it's done through having Acrobat (not just the reader)
> installed which might add the 'save as' facility to Word.  In that case it
> looks that the Adobe add-on for Word doesn't produce 'true' pdf the same
as
> creating the document in Acrobat without Word.  Maybe then you should
search
> the Adobe site for a bug fix or tell them the problem.  (This of course
> means getting the lecturer to take on the update).
>
> K.

Last week I installed a port redirector and ghostscript (both free) under
Windows and now I have a pseudo-printer port which lets me 'print' a ms-word
document, and it saves the output as a pdf.  There are some limitations -
some documents will not generate pdf's (haven't found out why yet) but there
are a number of commercial solutions which probably won't have the same
problems.

I'm working at an all-windows shop at the moment, so I don't can't tell you
if there are any problems under the Linux acrobat reader.

Regards,
Steve
--
Steve Baker