[plug] acrobat reader and printing

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Wed Sep 6 12:12:34 WST 2000

Leon Blackwell wrote:
> I'm not sure about Murdoch or other Perth universities, but here
> at Curtin we are not allowed to release course material publicaly.
> (no, I don't understand it either... it's not like anyone would
> want to steal it and use it for themselves  :)

Funny you should mention that. A certain person of my acquaintance
recently saw a unit description / publicity blurb pinned up at UWA. It
consisted, almost verbatim and without acknowledgement, of part a piece
this acquaintance (who lectures at Curtin) had written - a piece which,
when distributed, had been clearly marked as not for general
distribution. Options for response to this are being considered.

Of course, we could get into a long discussion about whether this sort
of writing, like GPL'd software, should be open-licensed. Current
conventions (small 'c') in the use and abuse of copyright on this sort
of material make it a pretty bold thing to do, though - and lecturers'
hands are often tied by the sort of institutional restrictions you
mention.

Colin