[plug] Mailing list archive

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Sep 6 17:36:27 WST 2000

Hey Hey,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 05:09:36PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> And, since you seem to think that anything in the archives, will be
> contained in one of my emails, perhaps you could explain whether T1
> lines are used in Australia? I had thought that they had been mentioned
> in the past, on the mailing list, but could not find a reference to them
> in the archives, when I was able to search the archives.

Not that I know about, the US went a different way with the telco
infrastructure to Australia. Although that is being superceeded  with
more recent technologies like fibre (called SONET with services like OC-3
etc...).

Rather than T1s and T3s, we have E1s and E3s:

	T1 = 1.544 Mbps (24 channels multiplexed)
	T2 = [4 x T1] 6.312 Mbps (not usually available to end consumers)
	T3 = [6 x T2] 44.736 Mbps (this is really big)

	E1 = 2.048 Mbps (32 channels total, 30 for data)

I can't find my referrences for the number of E1s go into E2s, E3s etc, but it
follows the same was a a T1 -> T3 (just different numbers) ;)

Later,

Jason Nicholls