[plug] GDI printers

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 7 08:28:53 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
> > Leon Brooks wrote:
> >> this
> >> or another GDI driver may work for your printer. Weeeek! Weeeek! Weeeeek! Go on,
> >> be a guinea pig!
>
> > I hope it does not
> > destroy the printer (it is not mine - I just look after it, and, use
> > it).
>
> That would be quite an achievement, given that things like motors and power
> supplies are not under program control.

But, if the software, through not working properly with the printer,
says "Start printing. Stop Printing. Start Printing. Stop Printing. Warm
Up. Cool Down. Paper Feed. Stop Paper feed.", and, all kinds of
disjointed commands, that cause the printer to think "What's going on
here? It tells me to start, then to stop, to cool down, warm up, and so
on, before I have completed the last task. What does this software think
it is?"

Then the printer says " Stuff this, I am fed up with being jerked around
(in the physical, not metaphorical, sense, as in stop-start-stop-start,
without giving the mechanical components time to pause). I am taking a
sickie."

And then, the drive motor dies, or the part that heat-seals the printing
(or whatever it does), goes phht, and dies, and emits lots of smoke.

And then, with the smoke emission, the smoke detector goes off, and the
sprinklers water the computers. But, instead of making the computers
grow bigger and more powerful, the water makes the computers make funny
noises and smells, and, start spiiting out components.

And, with the strange flashing lights, and the noise, the neighbours
call the police, and claim that the aliens have landed, and are trying
to take over the neighbourhood. so, the police send in the tactical
response group, who machine-gun the place.

And then, the fire brigade turn up, and prune the front door, with fire
axes, and, commit axe murder, on any devices that are still living.

Then, we have apocalypse, as the devices try to defend themselves.

If only printer manufacturers would supply Linux drivers, so that we did
not have to face this kind of thing, so early in the morning...

--

Bret Busby