[plug] 4 Port serial cards, mgetty etc etc

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Thu Sep 7 10:45:56 WST 2000

List,

Just exploring setting up a RAS server and still gathering the info. I
have looked in the archives and picked up that I will need to use
setserial et al.

When booting the machine I see the device (RasTel 4 port PCI) listed
with ttyS0[4-7] and I/O, IRQ etc (checked with dmesg). Listed /dev/ttyS*
but only up to three is listed. Guess I have to create more here?

Using ls -la I see major,minor of 4,6[4-7] for ttyS[0-3] respectively.
Checked man for mknod and info mknod to find some more info on
major,minor but it seems a little spartan on my system. Not checked the
net yet.

Am I going in the correct direction here?

Thanks,

-----
Mike Earnshaw      | "Nothing is foolproof to a      | e-mail in header
 Computer Systems  |  sufficiently talented fool"    | Tel : +61 8 9256
1099
  Support          |                     Anon.       | Fax : +61 8 9256
1199
-----
   ,-._|\    Union Switch & signal
  /      \   24 Bannick Court
  *_.--._/   Canning Vale, WA 6155, Western Australia