[plug] 4 Port serial cards, mgetty etc etc

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu Sep 7 13:48:00 WST 2000

"Earnshaw, Mike" wrote:

> Matt, thanks!
>
> Lesson learn't = not all distro's same ;) Thanks for the explaination on
> tty, so easy when explained to you.

The other thing to check, which caught me with an ISA 4 port, and a PCMCIA
4 port, is the kernel must be set up to use multiple ports.. or else even
if the devices exist, it will not initialise any device past ttyS3.
I had to re-compile my kernel to get the 4th port to work..
ie 1 onboard port, and 4 pcmcia ports.
Same when I put the ISA 4 port card in.. it would only set up a maximum of
4 ports.. meaning with the 2 onboard, and the 4 port card, I had 2 ports I
could not use until I rebuilt the kernel.

Brad..