[plug] GDI printers

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Sep 9 21:39:14 WST 2000

alan howard wrote:
> On this subject CD mechanisms also only
> have a switch only on the home position ( TOC position) with no switch on the
> outer position. If you get a faulty laser with either the E or F photo diode
> faulty the tracking error signal can rise enough to make the transverse( sled)
> servo drive the laser beyond the outer track position.

Aye, that were noothing! When I were a lad, we had Apple ][ EuroPluses, wi' no'
e'en a track zero sensor; poor wee addled laddie'd goo'n bash his head(s)
against the stops 39 times soon 's lookit'yer.

Well, all right, there was actually a track zero sensor in the drive, and a wire
leading all the way back to the controller card, which *did* actually have
enough spare IO bits to sense this... but it wasn't connected. Some clone
controllers _did_ connect it and came with software to patch the system to sense
track 0.

I would be quite surpised if something as dumb as a GDI printer did have a way
of hurting itself, else random Windows, um, peculiarities would've killed a
*lot* of them by now.

--
"Actually this is a common misconception...I do *not* in fact have
a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very