[plug] MS Office and TCO

Gavin Rogers grogers at greenwood.wa.edu.au
Mon Sep 11 08:45:33 WST 2000

> Would they be sad if you quietly wedged a little '486 box (say, in a nice thin
> Osborne case like the one behind me) under your monitor and plugged it into
the
> network? One day, a tech may discover to his immense surprise that the
> enterprise revolves around a small antiquity on someone's desktop.

Is that a good thing? I mean, if you leave, and your 486 running linux stays
there doing important things, and it breaks... would you want to be the new IT
person having to deal with an unknown and undocumented 'black box' which appears
to handle, say, everything internet related for the entire company?

Linux systems are good things - but sneaking them in will only cause trouble!

Gavin.