[plug]database front-end scripting tools, and Tuesday's Meeting

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Sep 11 14:35:04 WST 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Bret Busby wrote:

> I have a question (so, what else is new?).

<snip db stuff>

> What we need to know, is, whether PHP or Perl, or, some similar
> Linux-based, web oriented, application, can be used to generate
> reasonably complex reports, with embedded sub-reports, and, graphical
> (as opposed to character-based) dynamic graphs, able to be embedded in
> the reports.

You can get the GD libraries for perl these can draw graphs from raw data.
You can obviously use the perl DBI/DBD to get at the data.

If things were dire you could generate LaTeX from perl then dvips it and print
the ps.   If you weren't after a paper report then writing html from perl is
easy.

In short you can do it .... it ';s just a matter of the skills available in
you business and the time you have in devel.

> I have also looked at some Java books, including "Database Programming
> with Visual J++", but, Java is lousy for output formatting anyway (and,
> from what I understand, file-handling), and I didn't find anything
> useful.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein