[plug] IP Masquerade - HELP!

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Sep 12 11:37:21 WST 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, John Breen wrote:
> Okay, I admit to being stumped.  Perhaps some of the gurus could
> help.  Again.

I'm no guru. With my advice YMMV.

[snip]

A few suggestions, many of which have been covered before on list in relation
to the use of ipchains

--   Have you enabled ip forwarding? As root, look at the result of

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

If this is 1, forwarding has been allowed (kernel willing). If not the
following will switch it on

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

--   You may glean some clues from the following ipchains-enabling script

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/sdf/h/b/hburgiss/linux/ipchains.html

--  When I started setting up gateway machines, I found Rusty's IPCHAINS-HOWTO
more useful than the MASQUERADING-HOWTO in getting both going:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

--  I've found Pointman Firewall (http://www.pointman.org/) provides a
painless method for implementing masq and ipchains (providing the kernel's
ready to go). Once it's installed, I recommend checking and editing the
firewall rules to suit your requirements.

Hope this helps John.

Regards,
Steve