[plug] SMB - PPP - NT PDC Auth - tailspin ...

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Tue Sep 12 15:12:06 WST 2000

Second post. First didn't appear to make it to list. Sorry if it
duplicates

List,

I seem to be stuck! In summary what I am trying to do is use a Linux 6.2
box as a PPP server that authenticates against an NT PDC for user names.

I have installed ppp 2.3.11, got pam_smb-1.1.6.

My mgetty login.conf has:
/AutoPPP/	-	@	/usr/sbin/pppd	auth	login	debug

/etc/pam.d/ppp
auth	required	pam_smb_auth.so

/lib/security
pam_smb_auth.so

/etc/pam.conf
<DOMAIN NAME>
<PDC NAME - which is also in DNS>

When ever I try and dial in, the line is answered but password is
rejected and following /var/log/mesages shows PAP authentication
failure.

This is all very new and I am stumped. Reading the pam_smb help page the
only thing I don't appear to have on my system is pamsmbd [Do I need to
re-compile smb with pam support or something here?]

Help please.

Thanks,

-----
Mike Earnshaw      | "Nothing is foolproof to a      | e-mail in header
 Computer Systems  |  sufficiently talented fool"    | Tel : +61 8 9256
1099
  Support          |                     Anon.       | Fax : +61 8 9256
1199
-----
   ,-._|\    Union Switch & signal
  /      \   24 Bannick Court
  *_.--._/   Canning Vale, WA 6155, Western Australia