[plug] Printtool for debian

Bernard Blackham dagobah at mad.scientist.com
Tue Sep 12 16:19:23 WST 2000

Hi,

Coming from Red Hat and moving to Debian, I'm still trying to find where
everything is. Is there an equivalent to printtool for Red Hat and
it's magic filters and smb configuration capabilities in Debian 2.2? I
came across a printtool for the woody distribution of Debian, but it
doesnt seem to be included in Debian 2.2 (potato) and the woody deb
package does not install (says corrupted). Is there a tool as nice as
printtool for setting up smb printers for Linux?

Also, this may be a fairly self-answering question... The reason I am
using this is to print to my Windows only printer (argh) from linux. It (a
Canon LBP-660) is currently attached to my machine and always printed
under Windows, sluggishly of course. I can get it to work under Linux by
running a dumbed down version of Windows 98 in VMWare and I can print
PostScript files by feeding them through gs with output as hp laserjet and
print through smbclient to the virtual machine (phew!). Is there a neater
solution? ie, a driver for the LBP-660 for linux? being a Windows only
printer I'm guessing not. I did find a web page where somebody claims to
have got it to work using the laserjet driver, but i'm unable to do the
same. The windows driver supports HP PCL5e emulation (and thus the
laserjet output from gs), but the printer talks it's own raw language. Has
anybody had any success with this?

Thanks,

Bernard.

--