[plug] anyone here work for a public company?

Brian Tombleson Brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Sun Sep 17 21:43:14 WST 2000

Sorry to come in late on this one ..

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bradley Woodward" <sweenytod at sweenytod.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2000 10:39 PM

> On Sat, 09 Sep 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-09-08-004-04-OP-LF-MS
> >
> > Text follows:
> >
> > MS Office costs businesses about $6 billion each year; with free
> > alternatives like StarOffice that are now available, continuing to pay
for
> > MS Office constitutes fiscal irresponsibility -- shareholders and
employees
> > should be demanding an end to this colossal waste of corporate funds.
>
> There is a difference between the cost of purchace and the cost of owning.
> Office costs a lot to buy, but doesn't cost much to own, because everybody
> coming out of receptionist school and business collage knows how to use
the
> damn things.  The training costs are way down, because everybody mimics
the
> MS style of applicaton, so everybody basically knows how to navigate the
> menus and toolbars of most new applications.

Criticism and philosophical debate aside, is one of the avenues that people
like us (PLUG) be taking is getting into the decision-makers in
'receptionist schools', high-schools, uni's, etc and convincing them to
change over?

This would mean cost of ownership of SO/Linux/Open-source/Free-software will
drop to $0 along with MS stock price, right?

- Brian.

Just my $0.545 (GST incl.) worth of thoughts.