[plug] [contains rant] Linux in schools (was: public company? )

Gavin Rogers grogers at greenwood.wa.edu.au
Mon Sep 18 15:00:59 WST 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:

> I should have said - 'free' MS software is only to government schools.  I
> would have thought you would have spent more than $7000 the last two years,
> NT4 being $3000 on its own, and we've covered the rorts in SQL-Server
> licensing . .

Also, we get 'OS upgrades' for free but not the OS itself. So we're still
stuck buying a copy of Windows for practically each and every machine. The
upgrade to NT workstation is then free.

I'm not 100% on the licensing agreement for 'big stuff' like NT server,
but I believe a license still has to be paid for them.

Of course, it goes without saying that we loathe to use NT unless it's
absolutely necessary. Linux systems have done all of our internet related
'stuff' for over a year now with no problems whatsoever.

Regards,
Gavin Rogers
Network administrator
Greenwood Senior High School