[plug] FAQ - alpha release

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Sep 18 20:04:53 WST 2000

skribe wrote:
> 1.0 General Information
>         1.3     What does PLUG do?
          1.3a    What does PLUG plan to do next?
>         1.4     How do I join PLUG?

> 2.0 Mailing List
>         2.1     How do I join the mailing List?
>         2.2     How do I leave the mailing list?
          2.2a    Are there archives of the list?
>         2.3     How busy is the mailing list?

> 5.0 Spark
>         5.1     What is Spark?
          5.1a    What can I use Spark for?
>         5.2     How do I get an account on Spark?

> 6.0 Linux in Perth
>         6.1     Where can I get Linux in Perth?
> *       6.2     Are there any linux-friendly retailers?
>         6.3     Are there any linux-friendly ISPs?
          6.4     Are there any local Linux gurus or pay-for support?

>         PLUG stands for Perth Linux User Group.  It is an association dealing
> primarily with all forms and distributions of the GNU/Linux computer
> operating system.

We also welcome users of ``fellow-traveller'' operating systems: FreeBSD,
OpenBSD, NetBSD and the like.

>         Apart from saving the world,

Uh, wasn't that supposed to read ``dominating the world''?

>         Website:  The website allows members to keep informed about the latest
> club activities and news.  It's our virtual newsletter.  It also has a
> search facility, so that members can check the archives of the mailing
> list, and a listing of the library's contents. See also 3.0.

Individual members may choose to exhibit their personal websites at
http://plug.linux.org.au/~membername/

>         Promote Linux:   PLUG is most active in their promotion of Linux through
> the running of Installfests.  These allow the general public to have linux
> installed on their computer system by members of PLUG.

``PLUG seeks to promote Linux with a variety of activities. One of these
activities is the InstallFest, designed to get new members and non-members on
their feet with Linux for the first time. Many computers are delivered with
Windows pre-installed, and the InstallFest is a partial answer to this head
start.

``PLUG also organises other community activities from time to time, such as
Quakeathons and other high-bandwidth networked gatherings. This also provides
another excuse to tinker with hardware and drivers.''

> 1.4     How do I join PLUG?

>         The current cost for membership to PLUG is $10.

Per annum? What about students, pensioners, unemployed? Corporate membership?
Flat rate? Includes GST? GST-exempt?

Raising this to a more realistic level to assist PLUG in raising sufficent funds
for hiring venues, pay-for promotion and other real-world expenses would be
good.

> 1.5     What are the benefits for members?

>         Members get an account on Spark, the association's computer.

``See also 5.1''

>         PLUG meets twice per month:
>
>                 2nd Tuesday of the month they meet at Tennyson Group Office (Seminar)
>                 4th Monday of the month they meet at UCC.       (Problem solver)

Please expand the acronym, and explain that "the Univesity" is UWA (and expand
that too). http://www.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/

``Note: this is plug<b>-request</b>@..., not just plug at ...''

>         No flames.  No trolls.  Basic netiquette.

> 2.6     What are flames, flamebait and trolls?

>         A flame is a verbal attack, usually personal in nature.
>         Flamebait or a troll is a message (usually offtopic) that is designed to
> incite a negative emotional response:  i.e. strong criticism of particular
> linux distributions, editors, operating systems and even mail servers can
> be considered flamebait. (See 2.8) -

Asking ``How do I killfile Xxxx Xxxxx'' (Xxxx Xxxxx representing a real name) on
the list is considered trolling.

> A search facility is available via
> the web site.

``via the website'' should be a hyperlink to the search facility.

> 2.8     What topics should I avoid?
>
>         Anything that is controversial or infammatory.

Leading to the crime of infammy? (-: s/infammatory/inflammatory/

> Discussing the reply-to header of the mailing list is definitely a
> topic to be avoided.  If you're new to the list check the archives before
> asking your question.

Actually a ``death row'' composed largely of archived messages illustrating the
original question and any conclusion(s) reached would be a good idea.

> Currently Matt Kemner maintains the list.  He can be reached at
> zombie at wasp.net.au.

> The web site is currently maintained by Joshua Pierre (alpha at indigo.net.au).

Truly alpha, and not a1pha?

> Spark is PLUG's computer.  It is a SPARC (details?).  It runs the mailing
> list and the web site.  When we can convince it to run more we will =).

And scripting (PERL and PHP) for the web pages, and (I think) an SQL database,
maybe PostgreSQL but haven't checked and the memory is dim.

> 6.2     Are there any linux-friendly hardware retailers?

>         Probably, but I don't know who they are.  Can anyone else help here?

Computer Clinic (http://www.cclinic.com.au) also do hardware. And the website
may even say so one day.

> 6.3     Are there any linux-friendly ISPs?

>         iv.     Others (please add to the list)

Indigo.net.au
Aceonline.net.au

Linux News  http://www.linuxtoday.com/
            http://lwn.net/

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/

>         Applications
>                 Freshmeat               http://www.freshmeat.net/
>                 Rufus                   http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/

                  Scientific Apps on Linux
http://sal.kachinatech.com/index.shtml
                  LinuxApps (Internet.Com owns) http://www.linuxapps.com/

                  http://rootprompt.org/
                  http://www.securityfocus.com/
                  http://www.kerneli.org/

                  Linux Weekly News       http://lwn.net/
                  Linux.Com               http://www.linux.com/
                  GeekNews                http://www.geeknews.org/

> Gary Allpike for his hard work during the inception of PLUG

``, free hosting of the initial PLUG website, and continuing to host the main
Linux Australia server.''

> Matt Kemner for spark and for running the mailing list

``, and for always being right but never insisting.''

> WASP for bandwidth
> Linus Torvalds for starting the whole shebang.

Tony Breeds-Taurima for a stupendous amount of work and expense getting the
incorporation done.

Tennyson Group for hosting our meetings.

The University Compuer Club at the University of Western Australia for hosting
our fix-it nights.

Canning Technical College for providing an Installfest venue (plus numerous
sponsors - IBM?)

>         Medieval Career:            Black Knight

Going to Helen Rowe's wedding?

--
Instant sex will never be better than the kind you have to peel and cook.