[plug] Athlon Tbird and duron

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Tue Sep 19 21:44:15 WST 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, dez wrote:

> has anyone any nfo on the Athlon Thunderbird and/or the Duron
> processors ( to be coupled with asus a7v mb) and Linux ???
> I did hear a rumble that the original athlon was unstable under linux
> ....and does anyone know which chips ibm and compaq are selling on the
> linux-ready machines???

I'm using Linux on an Athlon Thunderbird 700 and a 750 (I think the 750 is
a non-Thunderbird slot-A Athlon though).  They work fine, one Debian the
other Red Hat.  There was a gotcha with Red Hat - the standard kernel for
6.2 has processor serial number disabled which causes a kernel panic on
boot with the Athlon.  Just recompile your kernel (you can boot the rescue
kernel from the CD to do that).

--
Independent consulting solicitor* | _ .__ ._ _    |\/| _.| _ _ |._ _
and technology consultant.**    \_|(/_|(/_| | |\/ |  |(_||(_(_)|| | |
* http://www.ilaw.com.au ** http://www.terminus.net.au jm at ilaw.com.au