[plug] Samba query

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Thu Sep 21 10:04:02 WST 2000

"de Vries, Arie" wrote:
> Kevin,

> If the DHCP server is not handing out IP addresses.
> WINxx will auto configure into a reserved M$ range of 169.254.0.0

Uh, do you happen to know anywhere that this is actually used?

> Check the IP address of the WINxx machines.

Kevin, you might also try putting up a DHCP server, preferably on a Linux box.
Many odd things like an Office97 install (<sarcasm weight=crushing>now why
didn't _I_ think of that? of course! that's _exactly_ what you'd expect an
office suit to do!</sarcasm>) will silently switch DHCP back on again.

--
"What you end up with, after running an operating system concept
through these many marketing coffee filters, is something not