[plug] Samba query (fwd)

Leon Brooks" <leon@brooks.smileys.net leonb at brooks.smileys.net
Thu Sep 21 11:54:06 WST 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, de Vries, Arie wrote:
>>> If the DHCP server is not handing out IP addresses.
>>> WINxx will auto configure into a reserved M$ range of 169.254.0.0

>> Uh, do you happen to know anywhere that this is actually used?

> From M$
> <Quote>
> If a DHCP server is not reached or leased configuration fails, the computer
> uses APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) to automatically configure
> TCP/IP. When APIPA is used, Windows 2000 determines an address in the
> Microsoft-reserved IP addressing range from 169.254.0.1 through
> 169.254.255.254. This address is used until a DHCP server is located. The
> subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0.

> The range of IP addresses (from 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254) used
> for APIPA is reserved by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). Any
> IP addresses within this range are not used on the Internet.
> </Quote>

> <Quote>
> With Windows 98, Microsoft TCP/IP provides a new mechanism for IP
> addressing, called automatic private IP addressing. If you have a small
> network, without a DHCP server, you can assign a unique IP address to your
> network adapter using the "LINKLOCAL network" IP address space. LINKLOCAL
> network addresses always begin with 169.254 and have the following format:
> 169.254.X.X
> </Quote>

> The consequence of this is that each machine will select a random IP
> address. Hence Kevin's problem of unable to ping and 'arp who-has' messages.

OK, so if I see 169[now there's an appropriate number!].254.*.* packets on
any of my subnets I can deduce that (1) there is a Windows 200 machine
about (hide the women! hide the children! guns! get the guns!); (2) it
hasn't been configured appropriately.

I wonder, does the default Windows 2000... errr... configuration (for lack
of a better word) respond to SMB? That is, can I use nmblookup on such an
IP to find out what it thinks it is called, etc?

--
Remember when you only had to pay for broken windows
if _you_ broke them?