[plug] IPChains

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 21 18:18:49 WST 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Damion Hill wrote:

> I'm hoping to get a pointer here.
>
> I've set up a script to apply the IPChains I wish to use for my home
> network and have them working. The one thing that needs attention
> is the setting for the IP address. All of the details I've found in doco
> refer to static IP or DHCP. I dial to iiNet who assign an ip
> depending on which port you've dialed in to.
>
> How can I automate the IP setting in my script? At present I'm
> using ifconfig to get the address and editing a macro in the script
> before applying the rules. There has to be an easier way!!

Hi;

A lot called Isisglass has written a script that does a fair job of doing
what you want. In particular it has a section to determine the assigned PPP
address. You may want to incluse that in your script. Just search for
"isiglass" on freshmeat.

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw          | http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~pfb