[plug] ESS Audio Card and Real Encoder

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 22 14:09:09 WST 2000

Nick Bannon wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 12:15:08PM -0400, Len Bird wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> > Does anyone know of a simple Sound Card that works in all
> > flavours of Linux?   Various dealers make extravagant claims
> [...]
>
> I must say, my Creative PCI64 (Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370) was cheap
> and worked flawlessly... Both ALSA and the es1370 kernel module
> worked first time.
>
> I'm having a little trouble getting an ES1868 ISA card to work
> though - I've had a similar system working once before but this
> one won't. pnpdump lists the _other_ two ISA cards in the machine
> (a 3Com 3c509B and a DiamondVoice internal modem <hawk><spit>).
> Win98SE detects and uses all three...
>
> Nick.
>
> --
>   Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
> nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal

I have something like that; an ESS 1868 card, I think; though I
understood mine was PCI. When I got the computer, with just Win95, the
sound card worked, without any problems, but, after about the second
reinstall, getting the driver working got increasingly more difficult,
and, when I put Win98 on the system, the sound card worked for the first
couple of installations, then didn't seem to work again, until the
Nuts&Bolts test made it work, and, one website that I visited, got it to
work. It has never worked with RH 5.2, so I just, more or less, gave up
on having a working sound card.

Needless to say, with all the trouble that I have had with trying to get
drivers for the card, trying to contact the company, etc, I would not
get another ESS soundcard.

I understood that the best thing to do, was to get a basic
Soundblaster16 card, as they were virtually the standard, and any OS
that had sound capability, was sure to have a driver for them. But, from
what I understand, 16 bit sound has gone the same way as black and white
television, just a step on the way, that has come and gone.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988