[plug] pppd

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Sep 26 13:02:17 WST 2000

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, russ wrote:

> OK, no help for fetchmail. :(

Sorry, don't use fetchmail
Only thing I can think of, is try to connect to the mailserver manually
(telnet <IP.IP.IP.IP> 110)

> How about pppd? I'm getting this error message:
>
> "Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP"

Ignore it.

Proxy arp, is where if you run a dial-in server, you can make the remote
host appear on the local network..

EG say you have local network 192.168.1.0/24 and your Linux server is on
192.168.1.1, and you have local workstations (windows or otherwise) on
192.168.1.2 -> 192.168.1.10, you can set up your dial-in server so someone
can dial into it, and they get assigned 192.168.1.100
With proxyarp, the Linux server will answer any arp requests it sees
for 192.168.1.100, so the local workstations will send their data to the
Linux box, which will forward it on via the modem.

Because proxyarp is turned on by default on most distributions, the error
you are getting is because pppd has been told what the remote IP address
is, and it is searching for a local ethernet card in that network to
proxyarp in.

So, either remove proxyarp from /etc/ppp/options, or ignore it.

 - Matt