[plug] Red Hat 7

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue Sep 26 14:01:00 WST 2000

G'day,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 01:14:50PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Please check:
> >
> >         http://www.redhat.com/products/software/linux/pl_rhl7.html
> >
> > for a package listing of rh7. In summary:
>
> I have looked at that web page.
>
> We are more interested in PostGreSQl, and not in mySQL. I don't remember
> seeing either PHP, or PostgreSQL, in the package list, though PHP was, I
> think, mentioned, as included in the server edition overview.

Perhaps you should read the package list. Both PostgreSQL and PHP packages
exist in the standard distro.

> Perhaps I should have been more specific in my questioning; for example,
> is the hardware autodetection significantly better? Does it run on a
> 486? (RH 6.0 does, with 16MB RAM.) I saw that it includes a GUI firewall
> setup, for the server edition, but, how good is it?.

Yes, i'm sorry - I haven't used rh7 yet, it's only been out for a very short
time, too short a time for my wimpy modem to download ;)

Does it still run on a 486? Well it's unlikely for redhat to have prevented
486 (and 386) systems from working. Of course, running things like Gnome
on a 486 with 16Mb of RAM is asking for trouble (read: major swapping and slow
as).

Regards,

Jason Nicholls