NT (was Re: [plug] Mandrake's buginess)

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Tue Sep 26 17:20:58 WST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Bannon" <nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Tuesday, 26 September 2000 16:07
Subject: NT (was Re: [plug] Mandrake's buginess)

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:54:57PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Doesn't WinNT 4 have a 64 bit version that runs on DEC Aplha's? Would
> > there be any difference? (regarding the WinNT, that is, not the Win9x
> > stuff)
>
> Not any more, not that it ever made much use of the 64-bitted-ness
> of the Alpha.

I remember hearing something (years ago) about the Alpha having a 32-bit
mode.  I think a lot of Alpha-NT ran in that mode, only the HAL and parts of
the kernel were 64 bit.  Or maybe that was a 'viscous' rumour started by
NT-haters.  Wouldn't surprise me if it were true though - it would be
typical of Microsoft forcing the world to conform to their idea of standard.

Regards,
Steve
--
Steve Baker