[plug] Databases

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Sep 26 19:24:57 WST 2000

jeffw at mbox.com.au wrote:
> At my work we have the customer database on Access which makes it
> entirely horrible to access from our linux server.

Agree. And sometimes even from a Windows server. (-:

> We are looking at
> porting it across to a linux based database. I was wanting to know
> whether anyone had experience in this and has tips for making it least
> painful. Also, what database would be best to use? mysql, postgresql or
> something else?

If going for MySQL, think about using it as MaxSQL (see http://www.maxsql.com/
for details). Consider Interbase as well. My money's on PostgreSQL, but to each
their own, variety is the spice of life (-:

These all have ODBC drivers, making it feasible to migrate by degrees, that is,
to continue using Access but push stuff across to proper SQL a bit at a time,
webify it or whatever and eventually Access can be left to atrophy.

--
"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything."
		-- Abraham Lincoln