telecom; was Re: [plug] RE:iinet support

de Vries, Arie Arie.deVries at team.telstra.com
Wed Sep 27 12:44:23 WST 2000

> From: Bret Busby
> "de Vries, Arie" wrote:
> >
> > Could it be that you ignored the notice advising of the
> change, that came
> > with the phone bill around that time?
>
> No.

Strange!
When my local was converted, we received a letter advising us the service
would not be available for a short time in the early hours of the morning.
Also Telstra advertised in the local rags that call waiting would be part of
the digital conversion. They called it FMO (Future Mode of Operation)

> exchane was an ARE exchange. It was the PLUG mailing list,
> that advised
> us otherwise, not telecom.

That was me, several weeks ago!

> But, then, given that telecom regards Armadale, WA, as a remote
> community (telecom does not intend to provide ADSL to Armadale,WA;

Spearwood could be considered as remote as Armadale!
ADSL won't be coming to us for awhile. The reason lies with the CAN upgrade
that is in progress. But 90% of all Australian's should access to ADSL
within two years if you believe Telstra's spiel.

> > But all you needed to do is inserted the stop call wait
> code in front of
> > your ISP's phone number and issued resume call waiting at
> the end of your
> > internet session.
>
> Why, when the line is used for data, have call waiting? Better to get
> the growth excised.

Because my phone system doesn't have recall facility, I have call waiting
turned off, but otherwise I would have my set-up stop & start it when on the
internet. Can't see the point in having a second line and I _work_ for
Telstra!

Arie de Vries